Sunday 9 October 2011

Books that are Not Just for Reading

Knowing the importance of reading to our children, I've started the habit of reading 2 or 3 books to baby girl every night before she sleeps ever since she turned 1 year old. In order to ensure that neither of us got bored with reading the same book over and over again, I decided to buy different books so that they can rotate around.

However, ordinary picture books with just words and pictures just didn't capture the attention of my active 1 year old, who was more interested in climbing up our bed's headrest than listening to the rest of the story.

Then one day by chance I stumbled onto a Touch & Feel book, Are You My Mummy: Little Duckling, which actually captured her attention just long enough for mummy to actually finish the whole story!
Furry "feathers" for Girlee to touch
It was then that I realised that my baby needed books that were not just for reading. She needed to be able to 'interact' with the characters and engage not just her visual or auditory senses but also her sense of touch.

So I went out on a hunt for said books and have thus far amassed a tiny collection..
Interactive Baby Books
..all of which costs less than $10 each!

One of these books even used sand paper to realistically mimick sand..

..while another used rough leather to mimick the rough skin of an elephant. You gotta applaud the authors / publishers for their creativity!

Also one of my favourites is Dr Seuss' All Aboard the Circus McGurkus. Why?
All Aboard the Circus McGurkus
'Cos the flaps actually flip up, that's why! =)

My collection is still very small as I'm not willing to spend too much on a single book. We're a one-income family so I try to find the best deals in town when it comes to buying my books. I try to buy them from Kinokuniya and Popular as I've got membership cards that entitle me to 10% discounts, which will then translate to savings.

I'm still on the lookout for great books to buy for my baby girl so if you've got some great suggestions on good titles and/or where to get them, drop me a comment! =)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...