Monday 19 December 2011

Golden Mile Steamboat Brought Me Back to My Childhood!

My family used to live at Beach Road directly opposite the Golden Mile buildings in the time before Golden Mile became famous for being 'shady' spot it is now. My dad decided to set up shop there (as it was so near to home), which was right next to Thien Kee Steamboat Restaurant. Due to the close proximity, he often patronises the restaurant (sometimes bringing us along) and has become great friends with the owners.

Since we moved away to Tiong Bahru years ago, we stopped visiting the restaurant as we didn't know if they were still there anymore. But one day, my mum saw the boss being featured on TV and recognised him straight away! She told my dad and when he was back two weeks ago, he brought us back to the same restaurant that he first visited 28 years ago!

Thien Kee Steamboat

This place brings back so many great memories for me! The minute I smelt the smell of their famous Hainanese chicken and tasted their famous chicken rice, I was brought right back to my childhood days where my daddy used to bring me their every weekend for dinner.

Their satay was heavenly! I really loved it! =) The hubby, on the other hand, absolutely enjoyed cooking the cockles in steamboat and eating almost an entire plate all by himself (my dad did though, eat a whole plate by himself I mean)!

Clockwise from left: Raw cockles; fried chicken chops; satay 

But the best part of the steamboat was the freshly cooked beef that my dad cooks for us!

Dad cooking the beef in steamboat

My dad reminded me of how my sister and I used to take turns bugging him to cook more beef for us. "More beef please daddy!" we demanded and he would cook for a good 15 minutes for us before he had any himself.

And what did I do now that I'm older some 20 years later? "More beef please daddy!" I demanded. Well, no one cooks beef the way daddy does you know? *laughs*

No wonder experts say that our sense of smell and taste is strongly tied to our memories! I can't believe that a simple dinner at an old and run down building can make me so nostalgic!

When the owners saw daddy, they were shocked that he still remembered them as they had thought he migrated since he sort of disappeared into thin air!

We'll definitely be back for the great food and fellowship =)


Golden Mile Thien Kee Steamboat Restaurant is located at 6001 Beach Road, Golden Mile Tower, #B1-20, Singapore 199589.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...